The history of Craigs Investment Partners began in 1984 when Neil Craig, now Chairman, established Craig & Co in Whakatane. Through Neil’s initiative, Craig & Co became the first regional broker to have its own operator on the trading floor in Queen Street, Auckland.
The company began to expand throughout 1988 and 1989, purchasing Franklin Holmes (operating out of Tauranga and Rotorua), The Ararimu Holdings and Hickey broking firms in Tauranga and another in Gisborne. It was at this point Craig & Co established its head office based in Tauranga, with Neil Craig teaming up with new Director David Coleman. Identifying the growing trend north, Craig & Co established a full service office in Auckland and on Auckland's North Shore.
Between 1992 and 1997, Craig & Co either acquired or established businesses in Invercargill (formerly Frater Williams operation), Gore, Wanganui, Hamilton, New Plymouth and Whangarei.
In 2001, Netherlands-based ABN AMRO, a global financial institution agreed to take a 50% shareholding in the company and Craig & Co became ABN AMRO Craigs. The same year ABN AMRO Craigs acquired the retail advisory business of Merrill Lynch and established a new branch in Wellington.
Between 2004 and 2006, ABN AMRO Craigs acquired the Christchurch sharebroking firm Lawrence Millton & Howarth and the assets of Greenslades, opening offices in Christchurch, Dunedin & Invercargill. A new branch was also established in Kerikeri to better service the needs of clients in the far north. The enlarged firm strengthened its national footprint and positioned itself as the largest private client NZX firm in New Zealand with 15 branches nationally.
Between 2007 and 2009 ABN AMRO Craigs acquired Winstanley Dickson, an NZX participant firm based in Blenheim and Glendinnings Advisory Firm in Palmerston North adding an additional two branches which further cemented ABN AMRO Craigs position as New Zealand’s largest private client, investment advisory firm with 17 branches nationwide. In late 2007 the consortium of Fortis, Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) and Santander globally acquired ABN AMRO. This effectively meant ABN AMRO's 50% equity stake in ABN AMRO Craigs, was now owned by RBS. Two years later RBS announced withdrawal from the New Zealand market and sold back their 50% equity interest to ABN AMRO Craigs and the company name was changed to Craigs Investment Partners.
In 2010, Craigs Investment Partners and the Deutsche Bank Group officially formed a strategic alliance, whereby the Deutsche Bank Group holds a 49.9% equity interest in Craigs Investment Partners. The remaining 50.1% stays with our existing shareholders. The strategic alliance with Deutsche Bank allows us to provide world class equities trading and global research capability. It also provides trans-tasman solutions for multi-national investment banking transactions.
In 2013, to complement the strategic direction between Craigs Investment Partners and the Deutsche Bank Group the Corporate Finance arm of Deutsche Bank New Zealand was integrated into Craigs Investment Partners. We now have an investment banking division called Deutsche Craigs. This division will continue to provide leading New Zealand companies with advice on mergers, acquisitions, disinvestments, corporate restructuring, debt products and equity capital raising.
In July 2014, Craigs Investment Partners formally created a new, wholly owned subsidiary called ‘QuayStreet Asset Management Limited’. With growing Funds under Management, and growth of the PIE Funds managed in-house, it was the opportune time to assemble a highly experienced, and dedicated funds management team to lead the funds business.
Click here to learn more about the history of Craigs Investment Partners